If a friend wanted to buy my car so took it mechanic to be checked but had an accident on the way back, what are my rights?

UPDATED: Feb 11, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a friend wanted to buy my car so took it mechanic to be checked but had an accident on the way back, what are my rights?

All was good we agreed on price. He rear-ended someone on the way back and totaled my car. I have voice mail and text from him saying that he would still buy the car. Now he is avoiding me. Is there a way to legally force him to pay?

Asked on February 11, 2015 under Accident Law, Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Ordinarily, you wouldn't be able to force your friend to pay for the car because even if you had a valid written contract in which he agreed to purchase the car, he could assert frustation of purpose (subject matter of the contract, the car, was destroyed) as a defense to enforcement of the contract.

However, since he is still saying that he will buy the car, you can sue him for breach of contract and seek specific performance of the contract.  Specific performance means that the court will order compliance with the terms of the contract since he is still agreeing to buy the car after it has been totalled.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption