Former Trump Staffer Files Lawsuit Against Campaign
Get Legal Help Today
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Jul 16, 2021
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.
We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.
Former Trump campaign staffer, Vincent Bordini, has filed a lawsuit against Donald J. Trump for President, Inc. and Earl Phillip, the campaign’s former North Carolina State Director, claiming that Phillip pulled a gun on him and the senior campaign officials refused to do anything about it.
According to the complaint, the two men were driving to check on campaign volunteers when the incident happened. Bordini claims that Phillip suddenly pulled out a handgun and pressed it to his kneecap. Bordini claims that once the initial shock wore off, he said, “What the f— are you doing?” and Phillip put the gun away as if nothing had happened.
Bordini claims that he reported the incident in detail to the Trump Campaign’s Regional Director of Western North Carolina, the Trump Campaign’s National Field Director, and the Trump Campaign Manager, but no one did anything about the incident.
Bordini alleges that Phillip has pulled his gun on at least four other people. “Some described Phillip as initially calm. Then, he would brandish his weapon, put its barrel against their bodies or aim it at them… He would wait for his victims to show fear and then calmly conceal his weapon again.”
Bordini claims that he loved working for the Trump Campaign, but eventually had to resign out of fear. At one point, Bordini claims that he temporarily moved his family out of fear that Phillip would seek retribution against him.
The lawsuit alleges assault, battery, intentional and negligent infliction of emotional distress, and negligent retention and supervision. Bordini seeks compensatory and punitive damages.
Bordini states that he did not come forward before because he feared retaliation “due to Phillip’s reputation for violent outbursts, intimidation and retaliation.” Bordini additionally did not want to jeopardize Trump’s chances of becoming president. “Vincent forewent alerting authorities because putting Mr. Trump in the White House was his goal. But enough is enough… Guns don’t have to fire to inflict damage. Vincent couldn’t sleep after the incident. If Phillip had flinched, Vincent might have never been able to properly walk again.”
Earl Phillip became the Trump campaign’s North Carolina state director in November. His consulting business, Innovative Consulting Services, has received approximately $65,000 for campaign field consulting. Prior to working for the Trump campaign, Phillip was the North Carolina African-American State Director for the Republican National Committee.
Phillip has previously made headlines for his controversial remarks about President Obama and the Democratic Party. Phillip stated that, “[y]ou cannot be a Christian and be a member of, or support, or be a card-carrying member of the Democratic Party,” and “I’m not a fan of (Obama) because I don’t believe in his ideology, I don’t believe he’s a Christian, I don’t believe he’s a citizen. But I do believe what he wrote in his book, what he says he wants for America, and that’s the issue I have.”
Phillip says that he recently resigned as the North Carolina state campaign director and deputy chair of Trump’s National Diversity Coalition until this matter has been resolved.
(Photo Credit: “Trump 2016 Campaign Sign – Make America Great Again” by Tony Webster is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0.)