If my former employer is still using my image in video training, can I ask them to stop?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my former employer is still using my image in video training, can I ask them to stop?

I created a series of online video training modules content and videos. The company is still using those videos on their website and uses it to close more business. Can I request for them to stop utilizing my image. We never

signed any IP docs or any agreements regarding this utilization.

Asked on February 11, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Minnesota


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

An ex- employer can't use a former employee's picture or likeness without first having the employee's consent. That is unless at some point during their work relationship, the employee signed an agreement giving permission that their image could be used. Accordingly, you can take legal action to prohibit them from using this video. That having been said, while you could proceed with a claim for compensation, you'd most likely not be able to receive any money. The reason that unless you are a public figure, you really have suffered no damages since you would normally not be paid for the right to use your likeness/voice. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption