What to do if a dealership won’thonor itswarranty work?

UPDATED: Oct 11, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 11, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a dealership won’thonor itswarranty work?

I purchased a new vehicle with extended warranty. The transmission needed to be replaced 2000 miles before the warranty expired. Tranmission was replaced by the dealership. Aproximately 20,000 miles later (1 year) the transmission went again and it now needs to be replaced (no longer under warranty). I am being told there was no warranty on the new transmission because the car was under warranty when it was put in. However, they did state that any new transmission put in when the car is not under warranty will have 5 year/100,000mile warranty. Estimate $5800 for new transmission.

Asked on October 11, 2011 under General Practice, Minnesota


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not you have a warranty for the new transmission that was put in your vehicle depends upon what the written documentation you received from the dealership when it was installed. As such, you need to carefully read all paperwork received for the transmission's installation in that this paperwork controls all warranties with respect to the part placed in your vehicle absent conflicting state law.

I recommend that you set up an appointment with the dealership that replaced the transmission for your vehicle after you have read all paperwork that you received when it was replaced in order to try and sort out the situation as to whether or not the current transmission is under warranty or not.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption