What are my rights regarding forclosure?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights regarding forclosure?

About 5 years ago, I had a verbal agreement to live in this property indefinitely as long as I took care of power

and water. The owner and I went to power company and had it changed in my name. I have been in compliance ever since then. The owner has sinced passed away and now the house is in foreclosure and I am being asked to vacate the premises. I had no idea that there was even a mortgage on the property. I have no where to go I would like to stay here but can’t afford what their asking. There are no heirs who want the

property. What can I do?

Asked on September 29, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You don't have any rights, unfortunately, and can be removed from the property. You agreement with the owner was personal to him--no one else is bound by it. Whomever acquires the home in foreclosure is not required to honor it (just as if the owner had sold the home, the buyer would not have to honor it) and so can remove you, since you otherwise have no right in or to the property or to live there.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption