What are my rights if my employer is forcing me to transfer to another location and change my hours?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if my employer is forcing me to transfer to another location and change my hours?

My job is forcing me to transfer to another location that is farther way. I told my supervisors that I’m not interested in going or going out there to help. My job want me to float to different hours where I put 0 for travel. Now my supervisor wants to change my hours and making me to stay later where it’s interfering with my schedule to get my children from school. What should I do I been here at my job for over where my schedule works for me. Now she wants to change it where I’m not available to work those hours.

Asked on October 25, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Missouri


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

There may be nothing that you can do about this. The fact is that a company can set the conditions of employment much as it sees fit. This includes changing a worker's job location and scheduled hours. Accordingly, unless this action violates the terms of an employment contract or union agreement or constitutes some form of legally actionable discrimination, it is legal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption