Forced to appear pro se

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Forced to appear pro se

I was denied a public defender due to my income but
I am unable to afford to hire and attorney and I am
now being forced to appear pro se on a felony case
what are my options?

Asked on October 11, 2019 under Criminal Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You don't really have any options except for contacting your state and/or city Bar Associations and seeing if they have any attorneys who will take your case on a pro bono (for free) basis to discharge their any obligations they may have to provide pro bono assistance (in most states, lawyers are required to be potentially available to provide some free legal assistance). You could also contact any local law schools and see if they have a program where law students provide free legal assistance under the guidance of their professors. Otherwise, if you do not qualify for a public defender, you have to find a way to hire a lawyer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption