If ther ewas no probable cause to pull my mother over, can her DUI be dismissed?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If ther ewas no probable cause to pull my mother over, can her DUI be dismissed?

My mother was pulled over for her license plate lights being out. However, when her and the officer walked back to look they were both on. She was then arrested for a DUI. Is there a chance that she can get the DUI dismissed because there was not a reason to pull her over in the first place? They haven’t filed the charges yet because out DA is out of town for the week. She has a driving job and she needs to know if this is something she has a chance at fighting or if she needs to come up with a plan for her life. Everything is riding on this.

Asked on March 5, 2019 under Criminal Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If the only evidence came from a stop that should never have been made, then yes, it may be possible to get the case dismissed: if the stop was illegal, the evidence from the stop can be excluded, and if there is no more evidence, the charges should be dismissed (either voluntarily by the state, or by the judge at trial if the state has insufficient evidence to sustain them). Getting evidence excluded from a stop is NOT an easy thing: it takes familiarity with the rules of evidence, with cases applying those rules, an attention to the relevant details, and the ability to argue persuasively. Since so much is riding on the outcome and your mother has a valid-seeming defense, she should hire a criminal defense attorney to represent her and move to exclude the evidence.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption