First time shoplifting at kohls worth 55 from IL

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

First time shoplifting at kohls worth 55 from IL

Hey, my son 19yrs shoplifted at Kohls and the stuff was worth 55.56 in total and
has never even got a speeding ticket. He accepted right away that he stole it and
he was written up a trespassing notice from Kohls and the police officer gave him

Asked on June 30, 2017 under Criminal Law, Illinois


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Since this is your son's first offense, he will not receive jail time. However, in that this is a criminal offense he should consult with a defense attorney who might be able to get the charge dismissed on a technicality. The fact is that the sooner he gets a lawyer, the better the potential outcome. Even if the charge doesn't get dropped, for a first offense your son can ask the prosecutor for "diversion" ("deferred adjudication", etc.). This is an alternative sentencing program whereby he will enter a guilty plea, receive probation, and upon its completion his plea will be withdrawn and the charge dismissed. Typically, in such a case a criminal history record will automatically be cleared (although in some jurisdictions you may have to apply to get it "expunged" or cleared). However, diversion is only allowed for first time offenses. Accordingly, if your son gets into trouble again it will not be available to him. That's why if he can get an attorney and they can get the case dismissed, he'll be eligible for diversion if he ever needs it in the future.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption