fired with no warning

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

fired with no warning

I missed 2 days work and I have
doctors note but apparently I
was to call in each day.. the
second day they put me as a no
call no show and fired me. can
they do this?. I thought I
would get written up . I have
never had a write up there in
close to 3 years I worked there

Asked on November 7, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Utah


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

A company can set the conditions of work much as it sees fit. This includes when and why to fire an employee. In fact, a worker can be terminated for any reason or no reason at all, with or without. In your case, company policy was not followed as you did not call as mandated. Additionally, an employer need not honor a doctor's note in the first place. Accordingly, unless your discharge constitued some form of actionable discrimination or violated the terms of an employment contract or union agreement, it was legal. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption