What to do if I was fired the day after getting a workmers compensation claim check?

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was fired the day after getting a workmers compensation claim check?

A few weeks ago I got hurt at work and went to the ER and paid $150. At work the next day, my boss tried to get me to “not say anything” and not file any workers comp or tell my contract company about it, and he would “add an extra 5 hours to my timecard” instead. I ended up filing the WC because that is the right thing to do. This weekend, I got the reimbursement check for the $150. The next day at work, my boss told me that he is ending my contract and my last day is in 2 weeks. I have never been reprimanded. My contract (I’m a contractor) has been month-to-month.

Asked on June 26, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You are not an employee so the rights you may have had as an employee do not translate into your position as a contractor.  However, this will need to be looked at by an attorney to see if your employer breached the contract in any way, shape or form or committed bad faith in terms of the contract itself.  You absolutely need to continue your claim with workers compensation and perhaps you may need to contact OSHA.  But before you do that or call the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (not sure if that agency would have jurisdiction), consult with an attorney. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption