How doI know if I was wrongfully fired?

UPDATED: Sep 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 13, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How doI know if I was wrongfully fired?

I was fired for backing my forklift into something. I did not realize I had done it. It was my second night on the job. No prior warnings or explanation. I passed the drug test. Could I be successful in suing this company?

Asked on September 13, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Alabama


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The fact is that you can be fired for this reason or any reason at all, If you are an "at will" employee (and most workplace relationships are). This means that your employer has a great deal of discretion in deciding if, and under what conditions, you may be terminated. Unless you have an employment contract/union agreement to the contrary, or this action violates existing company policy, or your treatment is the result of actionable discrimination,is is perfectly to have discharged you. Bottom line, while your employer's action is seemingly unfair, it violates no laws.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption