What to do about false financial statements and alimony?

UPDATED: Feb 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 13, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about false financial statements and alimony?

My ex has stopped working and intends to go back to court to eliminate my alimony. During the divorce he did not list properties he owns on his financial statement and I’m sure he won’t list them again if he has to fill out another one. Isn’t this fraud? How can I let the judge know there is missing information?

Asked on February 13, 2011 under Family Law, Massachusetts


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

May I ask: did you not realize this when you were getting divorce?  Did you have an attorney?  Did the attorney not show you the disclosure statements and did you not say something?  I think you need really good legal help here.  When he makes the application to reduce your support you have to oppose it with an affidavit stating that the properties you are talking about are not disclosed and were not disclosed when the original determination was made.  Show proof of ownership (get copies of deeds, etc.) and show that there is income from the property if applicable.  Next, move for an increase retroactively and a judgement for the amount he was supposed to pay but did not given the fraud.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption