If my spouse sent me divorce papers, shouldIsign them if they are not completely filled out?

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my spouse sent me divorce papers, shouldIsign them if they are not completely filled out?

My husband and I are getting a divorce. He lives in ND; I live in GA. He is the plaintiff and I am the defendant. He sent me the divorce papers but a lot of it has not been filled out. Should I sign and notarize the paperwork and mail it back to him anyway?

Asked on September 15, 2011 under Family Law, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

No, you should not.  You should never sign any legal document that is not fully filled out and you should never sign any legal document EVER without an attorney reviewing it on your behalf.  You need to go and see some one on a consultation basis.  You need to have them explain what your rights and obligations are in this matter and you need to have the papers explained to you.  Then you can make an informed decision as to the entire matter.  Otherwise you can get yourself in to a lot trouble. I do not vcare how much you trust him.  Divorces bring out the worst in people.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption