Wht to do if 15 years ago, a urologist performed a circumcision on me following a botched circumcision at birth but I still have pain?

UPDATED: Jan 22, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 22, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Wht to do if 15 years ago, a urologist performed a circumcision on me following a botched circumcision at birth but I still have pain?

The resultant phimosis and foreshortened sheath has caused me years of painful erections and psychological distress that I tried to remedy by visiting other urologists to no avail. It seems apparent that no one can/will alleviate my situation through further surgery so I am wondering if litigation against the urologist would be successful. Though I am reluctant to so, it seems as though it might be the only way to get any kind of satisfaction.

Asked on January 22, 2013 under Malpractice Law, Arkansas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If a procedure was performed on you incorrectly and you are now experiencing long-term pain because of the procedure, then you could have a viable medical malpractice claim. You would need to visit with an attorney that specialized in medical malpractice, also called "med mal attorneys." 

As you are visiting, you need to discuss some issues with them related to your case.  The first issue that you are going to have is the delay in the filing of your claim.  Delays cause two problems:  finding the doctor and find witnesses.  Considering this was several years ago, this doctor may no longer be around to sue.  The med mad attorney may be aware of him or how to find him, should he still be available for a lawsuit.  If you are still a minor, your parents would need to go with you and see if there is an exception that would apply to your case for filing a delayed malpractice claim.

Your best bet is to visit with two to three attorneys so that you can get a feel for who is willing to work the hardest on your claim.  You appear to have some serious issues and you don't want someone who is only interested in the billable hour. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption