If we purchased a house thatalready hada fence that encroaches on our neighbor’s property, who is responsible for moving it?

UPDATED: Sep 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If we purchased a house thatalready hada fence that encroaches on our neighbor’s property, who is responsible for moving it?

We bought a home 2 months ago. A fence was mistakenly put on part of our neighbor’s property before we bought the house. Now the neighbors want the fence moved. Who is responsible for moving the fence? The neighbors who want the fence moved, moved in years ago and the fence was already up. They want us to move it. We don’t know if they have a leg to stand on. Do they?

Asked on September 2, 2011 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you purchased a home where there is an existing fence upon your neighbor's property and these neighbor's want it moved and relocated, it is up to them to do so if you do not want to relocate it yourself.

The reason for the above answer is that you did not place the fence at its current location, the prior owners of your property did.

If the prior owners placed the fence at its current location, potentially a prescriptive easement may have resulted where you do not even have to agree to have the fence relocated. The elements for a prescriptive easement is the open, uninterrupted, hostile, exclusive use of that property for more than five years where no property taxes were ever paid by your predecessor for that property being enclosed.

You should consult with a real estate attorney regarding your options stated above.

Good question.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption