What are ny rights if I feel unsafe at work?

UPDATED: Aug 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are ny rights if I feel unsafe at work?

I was assaulted at work and the person admitted to doing it. We have a zero tolerance policy in place for workplace violence yet the employee is still there. Is there anything I can do? I do not feel safe at work, I cannot think straight without my back against the wall, and my HR department basically told me that because I didn’t express my feelings that I didn’t want to be assaulted, that I have no case.

Asked on August 6, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You cannot force your employer to fire, transfer, etc. your attacker. However, if you are attacked again by this person, your employer would most likely be liable for  your injuries, medical costs, etc. under the theory of "negligent supervison"--having knowledge that this person is a threat to you, they negligently failed to take action to protect you. At your discretion, you could let your company know that you will hold them responsible for any future attacks.

You also could report the assault to police--it is a crime. And you could sue the attacker personally for any injuries, medical costs, etc.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption