If my son is found guilty of a misdemeanor, will this jeopardize his federal financial aid for college?

UPDATED: Oct 11, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 11, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my son is found guilty of a misdemeanor, will this jeopardize his federal financial aid for college?

My son is 18, an honor roll student, and has never in trouble with the law before. He was just accepted at a university and was just arrested for having a marijuana pipe in his car. He claims it was a friend’s but told police it was his. He also wrote a statement saying it was his. There were no drugs on him or in the car. Is there any way getting out of this? Does this affect his financial aid for college? Other then this he is a good kid who made a bad decision. He also will receive scholarship money for his grades and ACT score. Should we speak with a criminal law attorney?
We’re in DuPage County, IL.

Asked on October 11, 2011 under Criminal Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Most likely if your son is convicted or pleads guilty to the misdemeanor that you are writing about, the conviction or plea will not have any bearing on his federal financial aid for college. However, to be sure, I recommend that you carefully read the terms and conditions for the financial aid package as a safeguard.

Furthermore, you might want to place a general call to the entity in charge of the placement of this financial aid package as well to make sure.

Hopefully your son has learned a lesson from what transpired. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption