How do I file a temporary emergency jurisdiction from one state to another regarding child custody?

UPDATED: Jan 23, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 23, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I file a temporary emergency jurisdiction from one state to another regarding child custody?

I needs help retaining custody of 6 year old. I’ve had custody for 5.5 years in CA. Mother of my son is violent and has been ordered numerous times to be evaluated by psychiatrist’s, among other things. She has never complied. I was told by the court that I would loose custody if I let my son see his mother unsupervised. She does not pay now nor has she ever paid her court ordered child support. I had 2 state judges tell me to sue the county for endangering my child because they continue to endanger my son. We relocated with court permission to NC where my family lives. My son has been in school 3 months.

Asked on January 23, 2011 under Family Law, North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

If the court granted you the right to move then I am not sure that filing for emergency anything is necessary.  What you need to do is to take the prior orders of the court regarding custody and visitation and file them to transfer jurisdiction to the court in North Carolina.  The Court and the Judge's in North Carolina will recognize any ruling and order from the Courts in California.  Then they will obtain the jurisdiction necessary to be able to make determinations regarding custody and issue any orders necessary on the case.  You should get some legal help with this to do it correctly given the past problems in this matter.  If you can not afford an attorney go to see legal sid or child services.  Good luck with you new life.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption