What canI do ifI was removed from my father’s home due to abuse and now he refuses to send my belongings to my mother’s house?

UPDATED: Apr 22, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 22, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What canI do ifI was removed from my father’s home due to abuse and now he refuses to send my belongings to my mother’s house?

I’m 15 years old, almost 16, and a few months ago I was taken out of my father’s home in MN due to abuse. I was sent back to my mother’s in MI. I was taken out so suddenly that the only things I had were the clothes on back, and now that I’ve been home for a few months, my father refuses to send me anyof my things. HJe feels that it’s my fault I left. My mom told him she would pay for everything they sent or even make a trip out there but still he refuses. My mom says that we can’t do anything else because children have no rights under 18.

Asked on April 22, 2011 under Family Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Although children under 18 can not act on their own in the "adult world" of "rights"  - like bringng a lawsuit, etc.,  - they can and do have rights that are asserted of brought through their parents.  So in many cases your Mother can act on your behalf to help assert rights to which you are entitled.  Your Mother can not enter your Father's house without a court order allowing her to do so and then she would have to bring someone "official" with her to get the stuff (like a Sheriff or Marshall or even the police).  That is not an easy endeavor.   But your Mother can speak with an attorney to see what can be done.  May I also suggest that you try speaking with and getting help from a family member that your Father trusts and that can help mediate the matter?  Maybe an Aunt or Grandparent?  Even a close friend to your Father.  Try that too.  Good luck to you. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption