Family Safety

UPDATED: May 12, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 12, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Family Safety

My boyfriend, father of my child, has two warrants for his arrest.One in the county that we live in.One is for non payment of a speeding ticket and the other is for missing a court date.The court date was for driving w/o a license, carrying **** paraphenalia, and revoked plates.The car did have insurance and the revoked plates was an error by the insurance.He is undocumented and we are documented.Can I get arreseted for “aiding” or anything?Will they take my child?Should he move for the safety of my family?He is not willing to turn himself in.Thank you in advance.

Asked on May 12, 2009 under Criminal Law, Nevada


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

It is possible that you can be arrested and charged with obstructing justice, or something like that, if you hide this man from the police, or if you lie to the police when they are trying to find and catch him.  If you are arrested, then you would risk having your child taken into temporary custody by the child welfare people, and sometimes it can be hard to get your child back after that happens.

Nevada law, as it is available on the internet (and I am not a Nevada lawyer), appears to make people who harbor fugitives accessories, and punishable for the fugitive's offenses, only in cases of felonies or "gross misdemeanors," and none of your boyfriend's offenses -- the ones you know about -- appear to be that serious.  But this can be very thin ice, especially where your child is involved.

I know nothing about immigration law, and I have no idea whether you are placing yourself at risk by letting an undocumented alien live with you -- or whether, if it is a problem, that could send you to jail or get you deported.

You should talk to a lawyer familiar with criminal and immigration law, or with a lawyer for each area of practice if you cannot find someone who does both.  One place to find qualified counsel is our website,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption