UPDATED: Sep 24, 2010

While you might expect changing your name to be a complicated process, in North Dakota it is actually fairly simple. You should begin the procedure by filing the proper form with the court clerk in your county, where you will also pay a fee. With the information provided here, we have taken the mystery out of the procedure.

What forms are required for a North Dakota name change?

The State of North Dakota does not have a specific name change form. You must write your own petition to change the name, use a form prepared by a commercial service, or have an attorney write one for you. Click on the following link and search the North Dakota State Code for more details: North Dakota State Code Chapter 32

Where do I file the forms for a name change in North Dakota?

The completed forms must be filed with the district court clerk of the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the forms?

Yes. Check with your local district court clerk for more information.

Is there a filing fee for a name change in North Dakota?

Yes. Check with the clerk of the court to determine the cost. A fee waiver may generally be obtained with a showing of sufficient hardship.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

Check with your local district court to determine whether a hearing is required.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

Yes. Notice must be published in a local newspaper at least thirty days prior to submission of your Petition. Check with your local courthouse for more details.