UPDATED: Oct 11, 2012

If you have wanted to change your name in Indiana but hesitated because you believed it to be too complicated, take heart. Actually, it is not as difficult as you might think. The procedure mostly involves completing the proper forms and filing them with the court in your area. A fee is also required. Here is some information you will need to get started.

What forms are required for an Indiana name change?

The following forms are required to change your name in Indiana:

• Appearance Form(Form #1)
  • Verified Petition for Change of Name(Form #2)
  • Notice of Filing Proof of Publication and Request for Hearing(Form #3)
  • Affidavit of Publication(Form #4)
  • Notice of Hearing(Form #5)
  • Order on Verified Petition for Change of Name (Form #6)

These forms can be found on the Indiana State Courts website.

Where do I file the forms for a name change in Indiana?

The completed forms must be filed with the court clerk of the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the forms?

No.

Is there a filing fee for a name change in Indiana?

Yes. The fee is $104. A fee waiver may be obtained using the Fee Waiver form with a showing of sufficient hardship.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

Yes. The court clerk will tell you the date of your court hearing. It must be at least 30 days after the last date your notice is published in the local newspaper.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

Yes. You must publish a notice of your name change in the local newspaper once a week for three weeks after the Petition is submitted.