UPDATED: Oct 11, 2012

You can change your name in Florida in a few simple steps. The process mostly requires filling out the appropriate forms and filing them with the circuit court clerk of the county where you live. A fee will also be required. The information here will help you along the way by providing simple answers to some of the questions you may have.

What forms are required for a Florida name change?

The following forms are required to change your name in Florida:

• Petition for Change of Name (Adult) (form 12.982(a))
  • Final Judgment of Change of Name (Adult) (form 12.982(b))

These forms can be found on the Florida State Courts website.

Where do I file the forms for a name change in Florida?

The completed forms must be filed with the circuit court clerk of the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the forms?

No.

Is there a filing fee for a name change in Florida?

Filing fees vary by courthouse. Check with your local courthouse for more information.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

Yes. The court clerk will tell you the date of your court hearing when you file your Petition.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

Possibly, depending on the rules of your local court. Check with the clerk of your local circuit court for more information.

Any other requirements for a Florida name change?

You must have a certified copy of your fingerprints taken by a local law enforcement agency. Check with your local courthouse for more information.