Get Legal Help Today
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Nov 30, 2010
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.
We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.
Oklahoma marriage laws require that couples obtain a valid Oklahoma marriage license before tying the knot. Certain age restrictions exist on getting a marriage license; for instance, the state will not issue one to minors without parental consent. Also, divorcees cannot re-marry within 6 months of their divorce. For more on Oklahoma marriage laws, see the information below.
Oklahoma Marriage Consent Laws
- With Parental Consent: 16 and 17 year-olds must obtain parental consent before getting a marriage license in Oklahoma. Minors younger than 16 must get, in addition to parental consent, a court order.
- Without Parental Consent: Adults 18 and older may marry in Oklahoma without parental consent.
Oklahoma Common Law Marriage
A good deal of controversy exists over whether Oklahoma actually will continue to recognize common law marriages. Despite a state law saying that only ceremonial weddings will be recognized, courts continue to recognize common law marriages previously created in Oklahoma. Nonetheless, if the choice exists, an actual wedding ceremony is the best way to go.
Oklahoma Marriage License
- Residency: No residency requirement.
- Identification Required: Any proof of age, such as a driver’s license or certified birth certificate.
- Appearance/Proxy: Proxy marriages are not available in Oklahoma. Both parties must be present at the time of applying.
- Previous Marriages: Divorced individuals cannot marry within 6 months of their divorce. If it has been longer than 6 months, bring a certified copy of your divorce decree to prove it.
- Length of License: 10 days from the time of issuance.
- Fees: Generally $50 to $60, but may be reduced to as low as $5 if the couple has completed premarital counseling.
- Authorized Oklahoma Officiants: Judges (for an additional $10 fee) and any ordained minister.