What can I do if my ex violates the custody agreement by taking our child out of state?

When a custody arrangement is in place, it is legally binding. If one parent violates the terms of this custody agreement, especially by taking the child to another state, then that parent is in violation of the law. He or she can be jailed for parental kidnapping and can face a host of other legal problems. As such, if you find yourself unable to find your child after the other parent skipped town, you do have options.

Do I have the right to deny my ex-spouse court-ordered custody?

Once a child custody court order is in place, you are required to comply with all of its provisions, regardless of how inconvenient. Most child custody court orders will contain specific directions for how parents will share a child during the summer months. If the court order states that you are to give up your kids to your ex-spouse for four weeks in the summer, you’re required to comply with the details of that summer visitation order.

How to Enforce Your Child Custody Order

You have been awarded custody and the other parent has child visitation. The details are contained in a court order, or child custody order. What can you do when the other parent violates or disobeys a child custody order? Examples of common child custody order violations include situations where the other parent constantly picks up or returns the child late, or even keeps the child overnight contrary to the court order. Or, the other parent may’bad mouth’ you with disparaging comments in the presence of the child, which is very often forbidden by child custody orders.