What can I do regarding a false charge on apartment repair?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do regarding a false charge on apartment repair?

I moved out of my apartment about a year ago and just now noticed a charge of $697 to my apartment. I called the apartment, then the management company, then the collections and finally got an answer. I was charged an ‘unreported pet fee’ and also a charge for cleaning the pet urine out of a carpet. The only problem is that I never have owned a pet and no animals have ever been in my apartment while I lived there. I currently live in another state and unfortunately cannot meet with anyone in person. I am curious if there is any way to prove the charge is false and if there are any

remedies for me with this? The debt collector said I could dispute the charge but didn’t sound hopeful.

Asked on June 21, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The only way to dispute this is to refuse to pay, let them sue you--if they think it is worthwhile to do so--then in court, defend yourself by presenting testimony and evidence that you never had a pet and therefore do not owe this fee. Only a court can force them to drop a charge they assert you owe, and as a practical matter, you get into court on cases like this by being sued for the money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption