What to do regarding a false allegation of theft?

UPDATED: Jun 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do regarding a false allegation of theft?

My wife is a Secretary on a little league board. At last nights meeting they accused her of stealing some player registration money; an amount could not be given. This is false. I saw my wife turn in the money. The president handled the money situation with no seriousness at all. A lot of people had hands on the money and some may have come up missing along the way. The board wants to press charges but has not yet, what can we do?

Asked on June 14, 2011 under Criminal Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

First, if you think that charges may be pressed, you should 1) retain an attorney; 2) pull together any and all evidence you may have (including a list of people who may be witnesses) in your favor--and also consider the negative evidence, so you can determine how to refute it; and 3) don't say anything to anyone--especially the authorities!--until and unless you speak first with your lawyer.

Second, if you believe that the allegation is  provable false, then since it was also a negative factual allegation or statement, made publically (at a meeting), which would tend to damage your wife's reputation and/or make others less likely to do business/work with her, she may have a defamation claim; this is another thing to discuss with an attorney. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption