F-1 visa expired

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

F-1 visa expired

Hi,I’m an international student and my
F1 visa has expired last May but I have
been issued a new I-20 from the
university I’m transferring to. Am I
out of status? Am I still legal to stay
in the US? I recently got married, how
do I change my last name?

Asked on August 23, 2016 under Immigration Law, Michigan


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you have a valid I-20 you are in valid status.  The visa is only needed for entry to the US; it does not determine your status once you are in the US.  The I-20 would do that in your case.  You cannot renew your visa within the US but you do not need to.  The next time you travel internationally, prior to returning to the US you will need to get a new visa at the US Embassy/Consulate and use the valid I-20 as the basis for the new visa.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption