Can I represent myself if I’m unable to find a lawyer to take my case?

UPDATED: Apr 14, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 14, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I represent myself if I’m unable to find a lawyer to take my case?

I had an external hemorrhoidectomy resulting in 3rd degree burn of anus, anal stenosis/deformity and ongoing incontinence. I was diagnosed 3 weeks post-op by another doctor. I’m 43 years old. Now the statute of limitations is approaching.

Asked on April 14, 2013 under Malpractice Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

In order to sue for a personal injury claim, there must be damages suffered as a result of a negligent (or intentional) act. Further, in a malpractice case, the negligence must have been the result of a breach of the accepted standard of care. While you have most certainly suffered damages, they may or may not have been negligently inflicted. Since these cases are complex and technical, you should consult with an attorney who is experienced in these type of cases. They can best advise you as to your right and remedies. Typically, a consultation of this type is for free.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption