Expunging/Setting Aside Juvenile Adjudication Records in Michigan

Get Legal Help Today

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 15, 2021

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

You must file a petition to have a juvenile adjudication record expunged. From here on, the terms “expunge” and “set aside” will be used interchangeably. In Michigan, both terms refer to the same legal remedy: removing your criminal conviction from the public record kept by the Michigan State Police, so that no one other than certain, specifically allowed agencies may pull up the conviction during a criminal record check.

Eligibility: Certain types of crimes are disqualified from expungement, even for juvenile adjudications. If any of the following situations apply, you may not apply for expungement of your juvenile adjudication record:

  1. You committed an offense that if committed by an adult would be punishable by a life imprisonment term.
  2. You committed one of the juvenile violations defined in MCL 712A.2d(9), including assault with intent to commit murder, armed assault with intent to rob and steal, burning a dwelling house, etc.
  3. You violated a traffic law (or similar local ordinance involving operating a vehicle) that at the time of the violation was a felony or misdemeanor.
  4. You have more than one conviction, whether as a juvenile or an adult.
  5. You are not yet 24 years old.
  6. 5 years have not passed from:

a. the date judgment was imposed in your case, if you weren’t detained or imprisoned; or
b. if you were detained, from the date you were released from detention.

You should consider hiring a criminal lawyer to assist you through this process. Many will give free initial consultations.

For more information on Michigan’s law, click the following articles:

Overview of Michigan Criminal Record Expungements

Expunging or Setting Aside Adult Criminal Records in Michigan: Eligibility

Process for Expunging Adult Criminal Records in Michigan

Process for Expunging/Setting Aside Juvenile Records in Michigan

Do I Need an Attorney to Expunge my Criminal Record in Michigan?

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption