Can a criminal offense be expunged ifI did not finish probation?

UPDATED: Feb 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a criminal offense be expunged ifI did not finish probation?

I pled guilty in 2002 to summary offense for retail theft. I paid my fine but did not complete ARD. Can I expunge this offense after 7+ years if I didn’t complete ARD?

Asked on February 12, 2011 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Probably not.  Generally speaking you have to complete all the requirements under your sentencing and then most states put a time factor in to their expungement law, i.e., stay clean for 2 years, 5 year - whatever.  Here is my concern: if you did not complete all the requirements you could have violated your probation and there is a warrant for your arrest issued somewhere.  I think that you need to speak with a criminal defense attorney as soon as you can and to have him or her check and see what is up with your case.  I would not wait any longer and risk finding out the hard way by being hauled in.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption