Executor lives 11 hours away and is useless and spitefull. The estate is open 6 almost 7 years

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Executor lives 11 hours away and is useless and spitefull. The estate is open 6 almost 7 years

There is a estate account with 150,000 cash everything has been settled except paying the lawyers, executor and I am sole beneficiary and giving my sister a cash gift even thou she was excluded in the will. my mother passed away 09-03-2012. The executor lives 11 hours away wont speak to me and he isn’t doing his job by settling it. He is wasting a lot of money so far changing lawyers 3 times and he is trying to get reimbursed for almost 12,000 and his receipts are hand written and me the sole beneficiary he has not spoken to me in 4 years now. what do I do? this is for Pennsylvania

Asked on January 6, 2019 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can bring a legal action in chancery court (a part or division of county court) seeking an "accounting" of the estate by the executor: that is, to make the executor "account" for his handling of the estate. Executors have a duty imposed by law to act in good faith, loyally, prudently, and reasonably (including in terms of expenditures) vis-a-vis the estate and beneficiaries, and to not engage in "self dealing" (that is, to not look to profit themselves unfairly at the expense of the estate or heirs). If an executor is violating these "fiduciary duties," the court do one or more of: order the executor to do or not do certain things; order the executor to personally repay to the estate amounts he took or wasted or lost; remove the executor and appoint a new one.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption