Executor doesn’t pay heir and heir passes

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Executor doesn’t pay heir and heir passes

My father was executor to his brother’s estate, his brother left his money to his partner. My father tried repeatedly calling the heir for months trying to distribute his money and even going to his home with no success, the heir was sick and moved in with his brother unknown to my father. Recently, the heir passed away and now the heir’s brother is pursuing legal action against my father for the money. Does my father have to pay him?

Asked on September 2, 2017 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If the brother left the money to his partner, it was by will: a "partner" does not inherit under intestate succession. If by will, then if the heir dies after the brother dies, the money should go to the heir's own estate: those designated by the heir's will to receive the money or, if there is no will, those who would inherit from him under intestate succession. That is because if the heir survives (lives longer than) the testator (person making the will; your father's brother), whether the heir physically received the money or not, he obtained the right to it; it therefore is part of his estate and goes to those who inherit from him. The heir's brother may inherit, if there are no others who would inherit ahead of him (e.g. children, parents--the exact order depends on whether there was a will and what it says and which state the heir lived in). So therefore the heir's money will go to someone and there is a good chance it will go to the brother: your father should ask the heir's brother to provide proof and a sworn affidavit that he is the one to inherit, and also execute an agreement that he will hold your father "harmless" if a higher-priority claimant (like say, a biological child) comes out of the woodwork--i.e. that if a higher priority claimant to the money appears, the heir's brother will pay any amounts and costs due.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption