Ex wife not providing documents

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Ex wife not providing documents

My ex wife and I are both pro-se. During a pre status conference my ex referred to an email from one our childrens therapists. I have requested a copy of that from Her and the therapists. Both are not responding to me. What is the next steps to get the childrens therapy dates and notes and email that the therapists have with my ex-wife?

Asked on June 14, 2019 under Family Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can subpoena the documents from the therapist--you have to send the therapist a formal subpoena (a non-subpoena written request is not enforceable or obligatory on him). Or you should be able to send your wife a formal document production request, pursuant to your state's rules of court for "discovery" in family court litigation, to get a copy from her. Again, it would not to be a proper request, as per the rules of court, not any other knd of writing. If you send the propert subpoena or document production request and they are not complied with, you should be able to make a motion to the court to enforce them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption