What to do if my ex-wife has not made arrangements to pick up our son to stay with her during the school year?

UPDATED: Aug 27, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 27, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my ex-wife has not made arrangements to pick up our son to stay with her during the school year?

My ex-wife is supposed to have physical custody of my son during the school year. School starts for him next week, and she has made no indication of when she will get him back. Note we live in different states and school has already started here. If she doesn’t make any arrangements for getting him back within the next couple of days I feel I will have to take custody and put him into school here so his education isn’t disrupted. Is this a reasonable thing for me to do? Is it legal for me to just take over like that?

Asked on August 27, 2012 under Family Law, South Dakota


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

This is way too complicated for a yes or no response.  The best guidance one can give is that if you think that you wish to be the custoduial parent and that you have enough evidence to show a court that it would be in your son's best interests then you need to make the application before he leaves the state.  Get help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption