If my ex is getting married, how does this affect my alimony payments?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my ex is getting married, how does this affect my alimony payments?

I am required by the state to pay her alimony for another 7 months. She just announced that she will be getting married in 3 months. Can you advise me if I am right in assuming that I will no longer have to pay alimony once she is re-married?

Asked on April 2, 2017 under Family Law, Delaware


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Ok so generally speaking, the law in Delaware states that alimony payments would stop upon the remarriage of the party getting the alimony (it can go both ways these days).  However, your stipluation of settlement in the divorce will govern, meaning that you can agree otherwise in the stipulation to pay alimony for a fixed time regardless of her remarriage.  So please check the agreement.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption