Ex husband refused to pay for his credit card. Gave the company my checking account information.

UPDATED: May 4, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 4, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Ex husband refused to pay for his credit card. Gave the company my checking account information.

Ex husband refused to pay for a credit card. Gave the CC company my personal checking account information to pay it off. Payment did not go through. Incured overdraft fee. What legal recourse to I have? Thank you.

Asked on May 4, 2009 under Criminal Law, Texas


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

While I am not a licensed attorney in TX, I deal with this sort of thing in CT.  The first thing that you need to do is call the bank and report the incident.  This way, the bank is on notice of what happened.  I also suggest contacting the police to report the incident as they are the ones responsible for prosecuting this crime (i.e. theft/fraud).  If your ex is charged with a crime, the court may order that he repay you the money that you incurred (overdraft fee) as a result.  This is commonly known as restitution.  If there is no prosecution of your ex, then I suggest taking him to small claims court and explain the situation to a judge.  Most jurisdictions recognize liability for  civil theft as well as criminal theft and some state statutes permit you to get double damages.  I wish you the best of luck!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption