If my ex has ruined my credit after separation papers were signed, can I do anything about it to get my credit restored?

UPDATED: Feb 25, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 25, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my ex has ruined my credit after separation papers were signed, can I do anything about it to get my credit restored?

We signed separation papers stating that our joint cards would not be used after we had separated. She then ended up using one and stopped paying on it. My credit keeps dropping and I’m wondering if there is anything I can do to get this resolved. We are now divorced and I continue to get calls and emails on this account.

Asked on February 25, 2012 under Family Law, North Carolina


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You need to mitigate your damages by paying the card off and then suing her for contribution or reimbursement. You must mitigate your damages, that should help begin the repair work. Indicate you are disputing the debt with your credit card companies by filing the dispute with the credit reporting agencies and showing your separation paperwork but again, that is only one path. You may need to take her to court for breach of the separation agreement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption