What can happen if my ex-girlfriend has been threatening to make a false report in the workplace about me?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can happen if my ex-girlfriend has been threatening to make a false report in the workplace about me?

I have been working with my ex girlfriend at a corporation for the last 4 months. I am technically hired as a temporary worker. She is full-time. We recently broke up and she has been very spiteful and won’t be civil in the work place. She has been telling me to quit because they aren’t going to hire me full-time

anyway so I

Asked on April 24, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Tennessee


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Your employer is under no obligation to do anything here. That in unless required to do so under the terms of an employment contract or union agreement. The fact is that a company can set the conditions of the workplace much as it sees fit, absent some form of actionable discrimination. That having been said, your co-worker can be discharged for this if your employer so chooses. In an "at will" employment relationship, a worker can be discharged for any reason or no reason at all, with or without notice. That having been said, you could pursue action on your own against your ex-girfriend for "defamation", if what she has been saying about you is untrue, she knowingly has repeated rthese things to 3rd parties and it has caused damage to your reputation, etc. (although these cases are not always easy to prove and can be costly).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption