What to do about a forged employment document?

UPDATED: Jan 20, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 20, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a forged employment document?

I have filed a wage claim with the Wage Commission against my employer for not paying my last paycheck. In response to that my employer is saying that I entered into an employment agreement. I got a scanned copy from the Commission (submitted by my ex-employer) which clearly shows that my ex-employer has forged that document by pasting my signature on an agreement doc. Unfortunately, the Commission says that it cannot do anything about it. How can I refute this document and his claim? Is there anything that I can do against my employer for framing/forging an inappropriate document? Should I speak with an employment law attorney? IN Bexar County, TX.

Asked on January 20, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Definitely talk to an employment law attorney. You may have a legal claim of action against your former employer (since forgery is both a tort and a crime) and you should be able to appeal the Commission's determination. As to how you'd prove it a forgery: you can testify yourself (in which case your credibility will be judged); get others to testify for you; have the document and/or the electronic file examined to show that it's a forgery; possibly compare it to other documents, which may plainly contradict it. An employment law attorney can evaluate the situation and advise you as to what the claim may be worth, how expensive or difficult it would be to prove, and the strength of the potential case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption