ex employer sending my earnings to my moms email

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

ex employer sending my earnings to my moms email

I’m a real estate agent and so is my mom. We worked for another company until November 2017 and now went to a different one. The old employer sent my earnings statement to my mom via email and said I wasn’t sure of Troy’s email. I’m a block away and that former employer has my phone number. I’m really upset she sent my earning information to my mom as it is not any of her business. Is there legal action I can take against that company.

Asked on January 5, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, there is no legal action you can take. The law only provides compensation for actual losses or harm you suffer, not just when someone does something inappropriate to you. Unless you can show that this somehow harm you in a provable, quantifiable way, there is nothing to sue for and no point to legal action: you would not receive any compensation. (To analogize: someone tries to shoot you but misses. Clearly, it is illegal to shoot at you, and you could bring a lawsuit--but if you were missed, you suffered no harm and no medical costs, and would therefore not receive compensation in a lawsuit.)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption