Ex boyfriend kept all my belongings in our apartment and wont allow me to sell it or retrieve it

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Ex boyfriend kept all my belongings in our apartment and wont allow me to sell it or retrieve it

So I was living with my boyfriend in a different
state. I wound up having to leave and move
back home because the relationship got very
abusive. My name is still on the lease along
with his but my furniture that I paid for and
have proof of purchasing, is still there. My
mother was in contact with him trying to sell my
Things, and which he agreed to also pay some
money for a Couple items he wanted New Link Destination
But then stopped answering so I couldnt sell
my items nor did he send money like he stated
and I have proof Of That also. What can I do?
Do I have to physically Go there? Or what

Asked on April 30, 2018 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Your recourse would be to sue him for your belongings. You could seek a court order that he turn them over to you (together with compensation for anything he lost, broke, sold, gave away, etc.) or simply sue him for the economic value of all the items he has held onto. (While suing for the economic value will not compensate you for any emotional/sentimental value, in which regard suing for the items' actual return is superior, suing for economic value is much easier procedurally and would let you proceed in small claims court.)
Unfortunately, the case would need to be filed in the county in which he lived for the court to have jurisdiction, or power, over him: the defendant needs to reside in or have some other connection the venue where the court is for jurisdiction, and he (we presume) has no connection to (e.g. doesn't own property in) the state in which you currently live. While you could hire an attorney to handle much of a case for you, 1) the cost of hiring the lawyer would offset the value of what you hope to get back; and 2) if the case went to trial, you'd still need to travel back for the trial itself to testify. Depending on the value of the items, there may be no cost-effective way to get them back.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption