How can a reverse mortgage program help me with my finances?

A reverse mortgage is a special type of private home loan that lets homeowners convert the equity in a home into cash. While most of us are familiar with the monthly payment formats of conventional mortgages, the reverse mortgage, in contrast, allows eligible homeowners to borrow against the value of their home.

Qualifying for Government Assistance for Nursing Home Care

Government assistance for nursing home care, usually referred to as Medicaid in most states, or Medi-Cal in California, is a combination of state and federal aid provided to qualified state residents. This article explores the spend-down rules for Medicaid or Medi-Cal as it is called in California.

Retirement Savings & Estate Planning

Retirement accounts are just as important to prudent estate planning as real estate and wealth portfolios. With medical and other living costs rising, the key to a responsible retirement savings and estate plan is looking ahead and choosing the right option for your portfolio.

How does Supplemental Security Income fit into estate planning?

The effect of your assets on your eligibility for Supplemental Security Income will depend on whether or not you work and where you live (some states have higher SSI rates and higher income limits than the national standard). Usually, assets must fall below $2,000 for an individual or $3,000 for a married couple, although a primary residence and some personal belongings may be exempt.