Get Legal Help Today
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
We are in the process of a uncontested divorce where we both agree to keep our house under both our names until we are able to sell. When we do sell we both agree and this will be put on the divorce that I get 60% and gets 40%. If by chance I die without selling, the children will inherit my profit of 60% but if we both die before selling they will get the house. We are in the process of doing a will stating this as well but is a will enough to avoid my children having trouble getting the house under their names or if they wish to sell it or get my portion of the 60%? How much will it cost?
Asked on May 12, 2009 under Estate Planning, Florida
MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney
Answered 13 years ago | Contributor
A will will probate the property. You need to talk with an estate planning attorney about placing the house in trust and see if a pour-over will and trust will be the best mechanism for you and your wife (to be divorced or otherwise).
Try www.attorneypages.com to consult with an estate planning attorney. You shouldn't separate property and devise it in that manner without at least a consultation with counsel.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.