estate inheritance

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

estate inheritance

Tricky question. Mom died last year, she was to inherit from an estate from my
Uncle. She dies before that. So, my brother and I split her portion. Now, another
Uncle is asking for money for her funeral we haven’t seen her in over 10 years,
never close. Shouldn’t that have been taken from her portion of the estate? Are
we legally obligated to do anything? She had no will…. Thanks

Asked on August 31, 2016 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

It is an expense of her estate, so it should have been paid from her estate prior to distributing the money from the estate. So say it as $10,000 and the total estate (and ignoring any other debts of hers) was $50,000; then the $10,000 should have come off the top of her estate, leaving $40,000 to be split between you and your brother. Since you received $10,000 less split between the two of you, you each received $5,000 less in this example.
If you instead took the money from the estate before paying this expense, it should still come out of your respective shares: so you should each have to pay $5,000 of the cost, which is the same as if the money had been paid upfront before the estate was distributed.
So it is an estate debt, and one that must be paid from the estate. If you took the money from the estate before paying, you have to repay that portion which would be your "share" of the funeral cost.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption