Are EOB’s of a minor on one parents insurance protected by HIPPA?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Are EOB’s of a minor on one parents insurance protected by HIPPA?

The current agreement we have in a divorced situation is to provide receipts to the other parent for billing purposes. The parent without the health insurance coverage is now stating they need copies of every explanation of benefits and is threatening to file a contempt charge if they are not provided. Is this valid?

Asked on September 5, 2018 under Family Law, Connecticut


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

My gut tells me that your ex is entitled to see what he or she is paying for, but your information that is HIPPA protected is not a part of that.  So I am assuming they come to you, correct?  Redact them.  Copy them, black out the info he is not entitled to see and copy them again.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption