Can I sue f someone intentionally tried to embarrass me at work?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue f someone intentionally tried to embarrass me at work?

I’ve been with my ex-fiance for 18 years. I called it off around 8 months ago. We own a house together and are working on that. I’ve stated multiple times that I’d return the rings when we settle the house. He kept asking and I’d say the same thing. However, last week he served me papers suing me for the cost of the rings and court costs. He did this at my new job on my first day embarrassing me in front of my co-workers. If I go to court with the rings and return them there can he still sue me for court costs or should I return them before the court date and then what would happen? Can I countersue for the embarrassing scene he made at my work?

Asked on April 30, 2019 under Family Law, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

1) Even if you return the ring now, he can still get the court costs, because he was required to incur them--to file the case--to move this matter along. Once the costs are incurred, the other party may seek them.
2) The law does not recognize "embarassment" as something you can sue over or get compensation for.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption