Ending/removing my derivative asylee status, and returning to my country, after divorce.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Ending/removing my derivative asylee status, and returning to my country, after divorce.

I am a derivative asylee. I have entered the US legally based on my spouse Asylee
status. We decided to be divorced. My question is

How can I lose/end my ‘derivative asylee’ status? I am from a different nationality, and
I have no problem returning to my country and live there. I have no interest staying in
the US and maintaining this status. How can I end it so it causes no problem in my

Asked on April 11, 2016 under Immigration Law, District of Columbia


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

It should not cause you any problems in your home country.  If you do not yet have a permanent resident status in the US even if you qualify for one on the basis of the asylum grant, you can simply leave the US and return to your home country.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption