UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption


I recently purchased a home. The property next to it is a very narrow lot, only about 15 feet wide but goes the length of my property. The owner of the lot came to cut the grass, then came over into my property with his dog saying my house sits on part of his land and he can do as he pleases. The house was built 58 years ago. I am financing through a bank so there was a title search and everything done. Can he legally be doing this?

Asked on May 9, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

He cannot legally trespass on or do use, access, etc. any part of your land--period and end of sentence. The issue is: is that your land?
The fact that there was a title search does not prove that the boundaries are correct; there could be an error on your title or deed, or there could be a never-resolved inconsistency between your deed (and its boundaries) and his (and the boundaries on it)--e.g. both could claim some of the land. A good idea would be to go to the county clerk's office and look up his deed, which is a public record, and compare to yours: do the boundaries match up properly, so your boundary is where you think it is? 
If both deeds agree that you, not him, own that land, then send him a written letter, sent some way you can prove delivery, delineating that both deeds agree as to who owns that land (preferably, include copies of the deeds) and that if he comes again onto your land, he will be trespassing and you will take appropriate legal action.
If the deeds do not agree and his deed shows that part of you land is is, take this up with your title insurance company. It may be that a legal action would be required to resolve any inconsistencies or dispute and set the boundaries properly.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption